During my younger years (20’s and 30’s) I attended many sporting events. I have been to over fifty sporting venues in four countries and the one thing that all of those experiences have in common is, it was just a game, nothing more. So, last week when I saw the video of a New York Jets Fan punch a New Patriots fan, who happened to be a women, in the face, I was beside myself.
Several weeks ago I read that a twenty four year old Dodger fan, who had just left AT&T Stadium to see the Dodgers play their rival San Francisco Giants with his dad, was stabbed to death for being a Dodger fan. That is just perplexing to me. The worst part of all is that this is not the first time that this has happened and it surely will not be the last.
- 2003, a Giants fan was shot and killed outside Dodger Stadium
- 2004, a skirmish between players at the end of a Pacer-Pistons led to a brawl between players and fans
- 2005 a Red Sox fan took a swing at Yankee outfielder Gary Sheffield while he was making a play during the game
- 2011 a Giants fan was nearly beaten to death in the Dodgers Stadium parking lot, IN FRONT OF HIS SON
- In 2011 several arrests and injuries were reported at San Francisco 49ers vs. Oakland Raider PRESEASON game